Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Annoying Facebook posts

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen these posts flying around on Facebook lately, but each time I see it, it seems to really annoy me.

"R.I.P To the 31 U.S. Troops who were killed in a Helicopter crash in Afghanistan today. I bet no one cares enough to re-post for Respect. This is a real reason for flags at half staff! Re-post if you have a heart......♥ Prayers for the Families"

Now granted I agree with this post. It is sad that in one event we lost 31 U.S. troops and that they do deserve respect and prayers. But what bothers me the most about this post is that is said it happened TODAY. I'm sorry but it happened in August 2011. I feel for those families, I really do and I pray for them and their loved ones, but why do we need to keep bringing it up? Not to mention every time I see it my heart stops a bit at the 31 U.S. soldiers part because things are not going good over there right now. The last article I read is the they are continuing operations as usual with just more vigilance, this just scares the crap outta me.
I have wanted to say something to the people I see posting this, but I am afraid to come across as bitchy and rude, when all I really want to do is tell them they have their facts wrong. What would you guys do? Would you tell them in a response to the post or a private message? One of the people who posted this is my sister-in-law, and I probably don't need to stir the pot anymore than it already is. I don't know this post is just really bugging me lately and I'm not sure if I should just ignore or do something. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcomed.
Thanks!


9 comments:

  1. This literally drives me nuts.
    I do not think there would be anything wrong with informing her that her facts are not right.
    I agree that it is a touchy subject, because ppl are trying to show they care, BUT it is NOT OK to repost things without the assurance they are true.
    I think it is totally unfair to the families of those killed in the crash, because it is reminding them AGAIN AND AGAIN.
    It also is extremely fair to us army wives who almost have a straight heart attack when we read those things..
    PPL just do not comprehend keeping things off of social media. One of the wives who's husband was just killed in afghanistan a couple days ago found out FROM FACEBOOK. It's just wrong.
    It is someone's right to post what they want on their facebook, but they should take into consideration how it might affect someone else!!

    It's just not ok. I would just send her a message and explain kindly the kind of effect those things have on someone like you or me who read them.

    This is obviously a VERY touchy subject for me!! HAHA rant over.
    Just wanted you to know, I see NO problem with telling her what's up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did send her a message just stating that it happened in the past and not today. I didn't go into how it makes wives like us feel or those families, I don't think she would "get it" But I totally agree with everything you said, which is why these posts in particular are driving me crazy!!!!

      Delete
  2. Anytime anyone posts something that is not true like this I get annoyed. I tend to just ignore it but it still annoys me. Plus I can't stand any status that has something like, "I bet no one cares enough to re-post for Respect." in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I have always just ignored those too. I'm not sure if it's my PMS that is making me more annoyed than normal or just the subject matter. But I agree.

      Delete
  3. I am constantly suggesting people Snopes their info before posting those things. You can suggest Snopes and say that you appreciate their support of such a tragic event, but it is perfectly acceptable for you to point out that it didn't happen "today" and every time you see that post it kind of makes you panic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did explain to her about how it makes me feel, I was trying to do it without sounding snotty but I just felt like she needed to know. Thank you for your support. :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, annoys me too. What also annoyed me was how everyone compared Whitney Houston's death to military members deaths and how they don't get status' the same. They are right.. service members don't. But they also don't enlist with the idea that if something happens to them the whole Facebook community will blow up with status' about them. It's just not how it is. But whenever a celebrity dies, that card is pulled out and it annoys me! But maybe that is just me.

    P.S. Sorry about the crazy delay.. trying to get caught up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally understand these young women hating the post, but I don't think they understand us older exmilitary wives. We worry for their husbands too. They just don't understand.I can see how it would "make their heart skip a beat" but it saddens me as well!! So what am I supposed to do, ignore it and hope that "it goes away?" Well it won't not today, not tomorrow, and I fear, not any time soon!.

    Maybe those wives who don't "understand" should view some of the past newsreels of Vietnam Vets coming home to boos and geers. I got so upset on those days. I was also upset as a mom who's son was in Desert Storm! And people were protesting that too!!! So don't whine military wives and appreciate the fact you actually have people who care about YOUR sons, daughters, husbands, and wives in service to this country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopped by to apologize for this same message going viral again today. The only difference is 'today' has been changed to 'yesterday'. Found your blog while looking to verify what did indeed sound less than factual after a friend shared the message in question -- today. Wanted you to know these messages are annoying to a lot of us who are neither military wives nor American and for all the reasons you mention. Additionally, I think these kinds of messages going viral distracts and detracts from the importance and sadness of the real events when they are reported. Again, many apologies for the world of social networking becoming a spammers paradise and for this particular type of message being used by them to generate traffic or whatever it is that they gain from it. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! :) I promise I will write back if you leave a comment :)