Tuesday, April 3, 2012

30 Day challenge- Day 3 Telling our parents


I was going to write about the birth of our son, but then I thought I would first write about the days we told our parents we were pregnant. :)

We decided we would tell them together (as in me and him telling each set of parents). We went over to his parents house the night after we found out and were playing cards (we did that a lot in the beginning). Conversation was moving right along when suddenly M blurts out, "well I think we might get engaged a little sooner than we thought"......then my lovely MIL goes "What? Is she pregnant?" Now let me tell you.... daggers were coming out of my eyes because I thought he had already told them. He reassured me and then we realized my MIL was actually making a joke. Haha! Right, so we had to inform her that I was pregnant and that the baby was due at the end of June. His parents were quite excited. My husband's older brother (who isn't a great human being) had already had three boys and took the shock of an unplanned pregnancy away from his parents. Plus my in laws had been waiting for M to find the right girl and to have kids that they could be grandparents to (they are currently raising my nephews). So, thankfully that all went good.
Let me start off the part about my parents with a side note: My family is very straight laced and do everything by the book. You were to go to school, graduate, go to college, graduate, get a job, meet a nice guy, get engaged, get married, have kids and live happily ever after. I am the oldest grandchild on that side and had until this point done what I was supposed to. Holy cow, was my family in for a rude awakening from me! :)
Next was on to my mother. I love my mother to death, but she doesn't always show a ton of emotion and is always careful to think before she speaks. She has always had high expectations for me. Not looking forward to telling her was a huge understatement! I can only imagine what M was feeling. I called my mom and asked if we could come over, because we had something we wanted to talk to her about. (haha! Next time I will just show up at her house) We get over there and M and I are sitting on the couch and my mom is sitting across from us in her chair. We talk about our day and then I start by saying "well.....we have something we want to share with you................we ummm.....well......." finally M blurts out "she's pregnant!" Then all you heard was crickets. (Can you tell M likes to blurt things out?) Finally she speaks and says "oh, that's not what I was expecting to hear." Really?!?! What were you expecting? She tells us she was expecting us to tell her we were engaged and getting married soon. Which in a sense we were, but we were speeding up the timeline because of the little bundle of joy that was coming. Needless to say after a few awkward minutes my mom showed her excited for us.I know she was worried about us because our relationship was relatively new, and a baby doesn't always bring a couple closer. But I reassured her that we loved each other and had already talked about getting married before this even happened.
Now because my parents are divorced, my dad still lives up in Michigan where I grew up, so we had to call him on the cell phone. I put him on speaker phone and told him. His reaction was NOT what I was expecting either. He said "Oh my goodness Kathryn! That's great news! How exciting!" Again, really?!?! I was pregnant with a guy who my dad had never met, and we hadn't been together all that long. We ended the phone call shortly after with both M and I confused. Later on my mom told me he called her right away and was like "what are we going to do?" That was more of the reaction I expected.
Thankfully all sets of parents were truly excited for us, after the initial shock wore off. My step-mom even threw me a baby shower up in Michigan so all of my Michigan friends could come (unfortunately most didn't come, but that's ok). It really all ended up great, but let me tell you I have NEVER been more afraid to tell my parents something, than I was at that moment.

I hope you enjoyed reliving this moment with me. If you would like to participate in the 30 day challenge it's not too late! Head on over to Eat, Pray, Love....LIVE! and join in!

2 comments:

  1. I'm participating now! Haha! This is a lot of fun! I'm so happy I met you so I could join right in.

    Love the part about daggers coming out of your eyes only to find out that everything was just fine. Thank GOD my husband doesn't do that 'cause I'd probably slap him, lol! Just goes to show how much stronger than me you are ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That's great! I've had a lot of fun so far doing this! I'll have to stop by and check out yours!

      Haha! Thanks! I think the thought crossed my mind to slap him, but he was pretty quick to reassure me! :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!! :) I promise I will write back if you leave a comment :)