Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Operation Kid Comfort


One day I was visiting some websites and I happened across this one for Armed Services YMCA Operation Kid Comfort. This is what they do:
"Operation Kid Comfort creates custom-made quilts and pillows for children of deployed U.S. military personnel who experience grief from missing their mom or dad. Photos of the deployed parent are printed onto fabric and sewn into the quilt or pillow. Each child received a quilt/pillow depending on age. Children 6 and under receive a quilt, 7 and older receive a pillow. Both quilts and pillows contain pictures of the deployed parent."
Well I thought it was such a neat idea I found some pictures (they give you guidelines) and I sent the stuff in. They take about 6-8 weeks because they are done by hand. But oh my goodness! They are soooo worth it! Lucas got his on Saturday and it hasn't left his side. I never got him a daddy doll and I feel like I should have. But in the beginning he didn't express too often how much he missed daddy. I know he missed him, but it wasn't affecting him like it is now. He is sleeping in our bed more now and has some separation anxiety. He does get excited when I pick him up though. He keeps repeating "ma ma back, ma ma back!" In the past couple of months his speech has taken off and now at least 10 times a day I hear "me miss da da" then he pouts (he's a good pouter, bottom lip always sticks WAY out). I always tell him that daddy loves him and misses him too and will be home when his job is done. It breaks my heart because I don't know how else to explain why daddy has been gone for so long. Today I heard "da da home now!" I told him, I so wish he could come home now, but he can't, his job isn't done yet.
This blanket though I think has helped a little. He is taking it with him everywhere. It makes him smile every time he sees the pictures of M on his blanket. It's really cute. It's free for the children of deployed soldiers. I would highly recommend these to anyone who has a soldier either deploying or is deployed. I just wish I would have found out about them sooner. Ah well. I am truly happy with how amazing our quilt turned out. I will leave you with some pics of it.

How cute, right?

Little L LOVES his daddy quilt

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! And sounds like perfect timing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SUCH a cute idea! I'm sure that it really helps them too...Do they make them for dogs?? Haha.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! :) I promise I will write back if you leave a comment :)