Saturday, July 21, 2012

Yellow Ribbon #3 DONE! and Mommycation

Oh my goodness! I am so happy to say I just finished Yellow Ribbon event #3. If you are not familiar with Yellow Ribbon, it is a program from the DoD that was put into place to
"promote the well-being of National Guard and Reserve members, their families and communities by connecting them with resources throughout the deployment cycle."

Let's just say the first two were not helpful to me At.All. The first one was a two day event where the solider attends with spouses and family members. They basically talked about not complaining too much to your soldier, not expecting a lot of communication and making sure the soldier prepared his spouse by making sure she knew how to balance the check book and how to get the car fixed. Now I'm not sure about you, but I knew how to do all of that before I met my husband. It was a waste of two days for me, but I went to support my husband. We did actually have one question that no one was able to answer and it had to do with our daughter's birth certificate, obviously we figured it out on our own, but I expected someone to know the answer to it.

The second one was just for families. Our unit dropped the ball on that one. It was scheduled for one day, then of course the day changed. There was a HUGE communication break down and not many people attended. It actually turned into a bitch fest. I'm not sure if I am just oblivious to what information I should be getting and am not or if I just don't make a big deal about stuff, but I had no issues or complaints, but oh my goodness.....others sure did. It was not a fun day, that's for sure. Plus I came with my mother in law (this was before the whole fight between her and my husband) and it was just a little awkward. Her and I don't have much in common, so finding things to talk about was kind of difficult after the first evening. But we made it through. No information was gained during this event either.

Today they actually had some good information. They did not allow the bitching to take place today. Which took away some of the entertainment factor, but made it less stressful I think. Although they did make everyone stand up and introduce themselves and I HATE that! Now I know what you're thinking, "but you're a teacher, you talk all day" you're right I do, but I talk to 12-14 year olds, I get freaked out about talking infront of my peers. Always have. But thankfully I didn't feel like today was a total waste of time. Not to mention I brought my friend Kristin and we are having a mommy weekend away from the kids. It was nice not to be woken up by the kids, even though I was woken up by my husband. I never mind being woken up by him. :)

Tonight we went to P.F. Changs for dinner and went shopping. It was a lot of fun to just hang out and not worry about the kids. I do miss my little boogers so very much! Nothing too exciting, just hanging out and relaxing. :)

I hope you all had a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it was a good one. Hopefully they are starting to realize what really needs to be happening at the yr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure about that, I actually think that not letting everyone complain helped, although it did take some of the entertainment value away. I hope they take the surveys seriously. :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!! :) I promise I will write back if you leave a comment :)