Monday, November 5, 2012

Show and Tell Monday: Careers



This one looked like fun so I thought I would link up with From Mrs. to Mama and join in the fun!

1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?
I studied Elementary education. It was my dream to teach 4th grade. I am currently teaching, however I am teaching 7th grade civics and I wouldn't go back to Elementary school for anything. I love this age (I know, most people cannot stand this age) and I love what I do.

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.
My everyday job looks like getting to school a little early and getting everything set up, answering emails. Then the students arrive, we do bellwork, I teach, we take notes, do partner or group work, then in 55 mins they leave and I get my next class. I do have two intervention classes. Those are a glorified study hall and take a lot of time and paperwork for me. I am generally spending my time tracking down the student's missing work (because they cannot be counted on to do it, if they could, it wouldn't be missing) then making sure they get the work done and then I turn it into the correct teacher. I also keep up on all of their grades once a week. So, I do that throughout the day. Once a week I must meet with my fellow 7th grade civics teachers and plan with them, then 4:15 rolls around, I go watch my part of the hallway, come back to my room, clean up and shut everything down and am hopefully leaving my room by 4:25. Whew! I don't have much down time during the day, except for my half hour lunch and sometimes my planning period. :)

3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.
Nope sorry. :)

4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.
I see myself still teaching. I am hoping to move to a school closer to my home. I also will hopefully have my masters and will be more comfortable in my curriculum. I've been with the district 5 years now and have not taught the same thing twice. I would really like to teach the same thing again so I can create more interesting lesson plans for my students. With a new curriculum there just isn't the time.

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in.
What I have learned about the education field is that it's a pain to deal with parents, administrators (sometimes) and any politician. It's annoying how much control they have taken away from teachers and how much time I spend managing my classroom instead of teaching. I sometimes wonder if my job would be easier if we didn't educate all. Also, if you don't like paperwork or pleasing others, don't go into teaching. There is a TON of paperwork and a TON of trainings to go to. Also, there may be a new "guru" in the district, but he is going to tell you something someone else already did, he will just call it something different. It's amazing how most of the principles we are using today were used and tossed out when I was in school.
Education is a LOT different from when we were in school and I don't necessarily think it's for the better. I love the technology side of it and that can make things fun and interesting, but the respect for teachers is gone and that is sad. Most people don't remember they are where they are today, because of a teacher.
Ok I will get off my soap box now. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I love my students. I wouldn't change my job for anything, even if it drives me crazy some days. :)
I hope you enjoyed this and I promise I am working on some update posts and will hopefully get those up this week. I promise. :)



2 comments:

  1. I love that you are teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love junior highers. It's such a hard age to be. I thought for a few seconds that I might be a good teacher... But then I realized that I'm not that patient. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! :) I promise I will write back if you leave a comment :)